Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Summer College Visits: California

Over the summer, I made my first return to the state where I was born - California. Southern California was home for only a few months during the first year of my life, and I hadn't been back since my family tore me away from the sunshine and beaches to instead raise me in my beautiful and exotic hometown of... St. Louis (thanks a lot, Mom and Dad).  Though the main reason for my visit was a conference in Palm Springs, I was able to spend a day in Los Angeles and a morning in Claremont visiting campuses. Below are some quick thoughts on each school I visited, along with photos.  More photos can be found on our new (!!!) Instagram account: instagram.com/hiescollegecounseling.

University of California - Los Angeles


Beautiful campus in a nice area, just slightly removed from LA.  Feels like a big state school but clearly has a different personality than many of our students are probably used to on the big southeastern campuses.  Would be a great fit for a strong HI student interested in pushing his/her boundaries a bit at a high profile, diverse, large institution on the West Coast.

University of Southern California


USC is located in the city of Los Angeles, although it isn't a completely urban campus like NYU or George Washington; there's a clear distinction between being on campus and off campus.  And campus itself is stunning, if you're into palm trees and fountains and that type of thing.  Would be a great fit for an HI student seeking the SoCal experience at a medium-sized school near the heart of a major city.  Especially strong in film and the arts, as well as business.  

The Claremont Colleges: Harvey Mudd, Scripps, Pitzer, Claremont McKenna, and Pomona


 The Claremont Colleges are 5 unique colleges (and 2 grad schools, which I skipped) whose campuses are all adjoining, though each has its own personality, culture, and academic strength.  The opportunities provided by the shared space and resources among the 5 campuses are unmatched.  If you like the idea of a liberal arts college but want some space to grow and explore beyond your small campus, you won't find a better option than one of the Claremont Colleges.  Oh, and if you're into beautiful weather, mountains, and really cool little college towns, this is your place.  But research each college individually, they aren't all a good fit for everyone because of their specific academic strengths.  Harvey Mudd is primarily focused on engineering, and Scripps is a women's college, for example.  





No comments:

Post a Comment