Friday, September 20, 2013

Oh, Canada

I'm spending this week in Toronto for the 2013 NACAC Conference.  Wednesday, I toured Ryerson University and spent some afternoon downtime at the Hockey Hall of Fame.  It was amazing.  My wife (who works at Lovett, is here for the same conference, and deserves credit for a number of these photos) says I was dashing from exhibit to exhibit like a kid at the zoo.  Yesterday I attended morning meetings, lunched-and-learned with the University of California schools, and enjoyed a welcome address from New York Times columnist and author, Thomas Friedman.  The next couple days I will be busy sitting in learning sessions and presentations.  I'm including some photos from the trip so far, and I hope to add more soon.        







Above: The CN Tower.  People pay money to get strapped into a harness and walk around the edge of the visitor center midway up the tower.  Crazy.  I don't think I'll be doing that on this trip.     






Left: Ryerson University's founder, Egerton Ryerson, also affectionately the namesake for their mascot, Eggy the Ram.  













  


Right: On campus at Ryerson University.  With about 33,000 undergraduate students, it's one of Canada's smaller universities (!!).  The University of Toronto boasts 67,000 undergrads. 






Above: Ryerson is home to a number of "zones" on campus.  These are collaborative work spaces for students and alums to come together and share ideas.  Similar to small business incubators, these zones bring together people with different interests in one general field of study.  Above is one of the spaces in the ultra-modern "Digital Media Zone," or DMZ.  A number of successful start-ups have been born of ideas developed in this particular zone. 

The conference is taking place at the Metro Toronto Convention Center, in the heart of beautiful downtown Toronto, also home to the Hockey Hall of Fame and the Stanley Cup...



No comments:

Post a Comment